Hearty Tomato and Lentil Soup Recipe
Packed with goodness, this hearty soup also helps to support healthy digestion and regular bowel movements. The tomato and lentil combination are a great source of fibre, which is essential for anyone that experiences sluggish bowels and the added spices are good for gut health too.
Hearty Tomato and Lentil Soup
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp sweet paprika
½ tsp turmeric
small pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
2x 400g cans diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
4 cups water
1 – 2 tsp honey or raw sugar (optional)
1 – 2 tsp Himalayan salt
- Heat olive oil and stir in onions. Sauté until clear.
- Add garlic, cumin seeds, celery and carrot and cook until tender.
- Add coriander, paprika, turmeric and chilli flakes, and cook for about 1 minute to bring the flavours out.
- Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, lentils and water. Cover with a lid and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 30 – 35 minutes without the lid, until lentils are tender. Add small amounts of water if needed.
- Add honey/sugar, salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with sourdough or your favourite multigrain bread