A great high fibre way to start your day.
Recipe. Apple Bircher Muesli or Porridge
This is a great high-fibre way to start your day. Oats and apple are a great source of soluble fibre that helps with healthy cholesterol and blood sugar, removes toxins and feeds your good bacteria. They also help to keep you regular. Ginger and cinnamon help to warm the digestive system ready for the day.
- ½ cup of oats
- 1 tbsp of shredded coconut
- ½ tsp of cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp of ginger powder
- 1 small apple grated
- Optional – 1 tbsp sultanas or raisins
Milk or plant milk (almond, soy, oat milk)
For an extra antioxidant top with berries or kiwifruit
Prepare the night before
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir thoroughly
- Add enough water to cover the dry ingredients
- Cover the bowl with a cloth or kitchen paper and leave on the kitchen bench overnight (this allows for natural fermentation to encourage good gut bacteria)
At breakfast time
You should find that all the water has been absorbed into the dry ingredients.
Muesli Cold option
- Mix in one of the milk options or yoghurt
- Top with fruit if desired
Muesli Warm option
Tip the ingredient in the bowl into a saucepan and stir in milk and warm over low heat on the stove
Add milk to the bowl and stir thoroughly. Microwave in 30-second increments until warm.